Introduction to Internship:
Thank you for your interest in Senator Lee’s office and internship program.
The Senator and his staff are committed to providing capable and deserving students with the opportunity to fulfill a Senate internship. The internship program allows college students a forum in which they may enhance their studies with the practical application of studied concepts in a real world setting. The experience that comes with an internship has proven valuable for many students as they see the inner workings of the US Congress and the American legislative process.
Senator Lee is dedicated to finding the best students to serve the people of Utah and address the issues facing our country. Many of the staffers within Senator Lee’s office were themselves Congressional interns at one point over the years.
A limited number of internships are available each year. Preference is given to college students who are attending a Utah university or college and residents from Utah who are attending schools outside of the state. All positions are paid internships.
All interns will be expected to work as part of the Senator’s team. Students should be able to adapt to the demanding environment of a Congressional office while promoting Senator Lee’s policies and goals. Excellent writing and communications skills will also be expected.
Internship Eligibility Requirements:
- Graduated from high school
- College juniors and seniors may apply for the D.C. internships
- Any college student may apply for state offices
- Undergraduate students only
- May apply for the semester immediately following their graduation
- Students expected to have a Utah connection; i.e. local university, grew up in Utah, currently reside in Utah, etc (if connections is not apparent, a paragraph explaining connection is recommended)
Interning in Washington, D.C.
Our office will not participate in, assist with, or be responsible for the logistics of travel to Washington. All living and travel arrangements are solely the responsibility of the student. (Most school’s have protocols and arrangements in place—contact your school’s office for additional information.)
As an intern in D.C. students are able to gain firsthand knowledge of the Legislative process along with a front row seat to the workings of the federal government. We encourage students to take advantage of their time in the nation’s capital. Visiting the sites, museums, offices, and institutions that represent our history and country will provide a valuable culmination to the overall experience.
All travel and living arrangements are the responsibility of the interns
Interning in Salt Lake City or St. George, Utah
While interning in either of the state offices, students will be at the forefront of Senator Lee’s efforts in serving Utahns. Students will have many unique opportunities not experienced in D.C. as they assist the Senator’s staff in serving his constituents.
All travel and living arrangements are the responsibility of the intern.
As an intern, some of your responsibilities may include:
- Attending Senate hearings
- Assisting with Research on specific projects
- Sorting and replying to constituent inquiries and mail
- Tracking the progress of legislation
- Meeting and interacting with constituents in the office
- Answering telephones
To apply, please include the following:
- Cover letter
- College transcripts (with GPA—unofficial transcripts are ok)
- Letter(s) of recommendation
- One writing sample (2-5 pages)
(We encourage those students affiliated with a local college or university to apply through their respective programs.)
Feel free to contact Jordan Hess with any questions.
Please mail or email your application to:
c/o Senator Michael S. Lee
United States Senate
361A Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510