WASHINGTON – Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) today introduced a resolution designating the week of November 8 as “National Pregnancy Center Week” and recognizing the vital work of pregnancy centers across the United States. The resolution is co-sponsored by 17 of his colleagues, and Rep. Bob Good (R-VA) has sponsored companion legislation in the House.
“Each year, thousands of women and men facing difficult pregnancy situations turn to these centers for help, hope, and healing,” said Sen. Lee. “Thanks to the heroic and tireless efforts of their staff and volunteers, parents receive compassionate care and crucial resources that help them to choose life, saving millions of babies’ lives each year. It’s only right that we honor and support their life-affirming work.”
“Pregnancy Centers provide mothers a safe place to turn to as they look for help, hope, and healing during challenging times,” said Rep. Good. “These centers and the individuals who work and volunteer at them deserve to be supported and recognized for the vital role they play in helping mothers and their families. I’m proud to stand with leaders like Senator Mike Lee who are working to protect innocent life.”
In addition to designating the week of November 8 as "National Pregnancy Center Week," the resolution also notes that:
- Nonprofit organizations have been cooperating since November 13, 1971 to save as many lives as possible from abortion;
- There are approximately 2,700 pregnancy centers in the United States;
- Pregnancy centers serve almost 2 million people each year, providing pregnancy tests, ultrasound and medical services, counseling, and education;
- Every day in the United States pregnancy centers assist an average of 5,500 people;
- More than 2,130 medical pregnancy centers provide ultrasound services at little or no cost;
- More than 476,00 ultrasounds are performed at pregnancy centers each year;
- Nearly every pregnancy center care and resource center provides clients with material support for pregnancy and infant care, including clothing, furniture, housing assistance, and nutritional resources.
The full list of co-sponsors includes: Sens. Thom Tillis (R-NC), Kevin Cramer (R-ND), Marco Rubio (R-FL), Ted Cruz (R-TX), Steve Daines (R-MT), James Risch (R-ID), Tommy Tuberville (R-AL), Roy Blunt (R-MO), Rick Scott (FL), Roger Marshall (R-KS), Josh Hawley (R-MO), Joni Ernst (R-IA), Marsha Blackburn (R-TN), Bill Cassidy (R-LA), James Lankford (R-OK), Mike Braun (R-ID), and Chuck Grassley (R-IA).
Support from outside groups includes: the Susan B. Anthony List, March for Life Action, American Principles Project, Concerned for Women for America Legislative Action Coalition, and Heartbeat International.
“We commend Senator Lee and Representative Good for highlighting the vital contributions of the network of more than 2,700 pro-life pregnancy centers across our country. Groups like Care Net, Heartbeat International, NIFLA, and others, with their multitude of dedicated volunteers, make a powerful positive impact in the lives of millions of women and families – giving them the courage and support they need to choose life. Their heroic service is an area where all Americans, whether or not they consider themselves pro-life, can find common ground. We hope the whole Congress will join us in taking concrete steps to recognize how the pregnancy care center movement continues to stand the test of time.”
- Marilyn Musgrave, SBA List Vice President of Government Affairs
Read the full bill text HERE.